Saturday, November 12, 2011

Snippets of a Day

*last night there were only two night wakings.  And the night rover stayed in his own bed all night.  Both minor were miracles. 

*we slept in (?) all the way to 5:15. 

*discovered 9 buds on my Christmas cactus! 

*we listened to classical music (a 2-disk "morning mix" I got for a buck at the dollar store) and made applesauce muffins from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook.

*dragged ourselves to the library for story time.  We heard two of the funniest children's books I've heard in a while - I need to put them on hold and read them again.  Anything with the line "I don't want patience, I want chocolate cake!" in it is worth at least a second read :) 

*saw that there is a house for rent in our neighborhood.  Probably totally out of our budget but worth finding out.  Who knows, maybe it's a nice landlord who will give a young family a break.  (A mama can dream, right?  Come on, it has a yard!) 

*broke a wheel off the stroller on our way home when Littler was sleeping in it and the elevator door started to close but the obnoxious wheels were doing their own thing rather than cooperating and moving in the proper direction to back off the elevator.  What is it with us and the blasted double stroller wheels? 

*THE.BOYS.BOTH.NAPPED!

*meanwhile  I  made iced tea, sat on my bum, checked blogs and facebook, ate some lunch, knit, and called my mom to whine about the stroller. 

*fixed the stroller?  Maybe?  Hopefully?  Time will tell.

*listened to fun kids' folk music and introduced the boys to jazz.  We had borrowed the folk cd from the library and my brother had made me a jazz mix for our wedding reception that I love and listen to while making dinner whenever I can.  It feels so classy.

*while pureeing avocados to make chocolate pudding the boys flung spaghetti at the wall.  And denied doing it.  Needless to say there was no pudding made. 
*maybe we should consider getting some canvases and selling modern art. 

*impromptu ring holder while cleaning spaghetti off walls looks pretty even though it is a sad reminder of why I can't do anything.

*maybe I'll even get to bed early.  And sleep through the night.  What can I say?  I'm a hopeless optimist.  At least when it comes to sleep. 

5 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

What is it with boy's, spaghetti and walls? Mine have done the same thing, they wanted to see if it would stick!
Gotta love 'em!
xx

karen said...

The spaghetti would have sent me through the roof! You are a great mom taking it in stride. I love that the boys both took a nap-precious moments. My fingers are crossed on the rental with a yard.

Obaitori said...

Fabulous sleep!

Here is a quote which helps me, alot;

"Happiness depends on how you accept, understand and surrender to situations." ~ Amma

The surrender is the part I'm always learning and re-learning.

Good luck with that spaghetti!

Katie xxx

Anonymous said...

I smiled at the realness of this post - any mom of young kids would! But, my favorite part: made some iced tea and knit. I bet you were a better mom for it once they woke up!

Pippajo said...

That photo of the spaghetti on the wall with the very guilty-looking perpetrator in front of it is priceless! You must save it for always.

Sleep is the best. Funny how we fight it when we're little and then spend the rest of our lives chasing it down...