Sunday, March 4, 2012

Patience and letting go

The Lord in His infinite Wisdom has decided that I need a big ol' lesson in patience and letting go.  It's going to be a long 20 weeks.

Friday was our 20 week ultrasound.  Baby Squirmy spent the entire time wiggling all over the place.  The poor ultrasound tech chuckled about it a couple times.  I probably should have laid off the cookies that morning but it had been a rough one and those frozen Thin Mints are just so good. 

So once she has finally gotten all the images she needs she went and got Daddy and the boys to come see.  She showed us all the highlights - head complete with little nose in profile, bladder (why they always need to show that off I have never understood,) spine, legs, feet, toes, hands, fingers.  It's just amazing.  And at the very end I asked about gender.  And ya know what, that little stinker kept those adorable little thighs together the whole time!  "Nothing to see here, folks." 

Now, the WeatherMan is very cool with this.  I had to talk him into finding out with both the boys.  I on the other hand...  I really like starting to get to know the kiddo while we're waiting.  Trying out names, picking a coming home outfit, figuring out sleeping arrangements (oh, who am I kidding, I'm tired and it's only gonna get worse, this kid will be sleeping with me.  Or more likely not sleeping with me if history is any indication.)  I want to know, I want to plan, I want to imagine.  I like that little illusion of control of getting my head wrapped around the person-ness of the critter who is making me have to pee every 20 minutes, making me uncomfortable, and who we'll be spending the next 4-plus months getting ready for and the rest of our lives getting to love.  I'm not really liking this state of anonymous. 

Oh well, I still have till July to work my way through it.  Gosh, that's a long way away.  I suppose each child gets to be a unique adventure.  And this kidlet is taking a stand early! 

2 comments:

karen said...

Oh, congrats on the baby to be!!!!

Emily said...

Aw! The wee one might be a bit shy! Twenty weeks to go.. oh boy (or girl -- I'm pulling for girl)!