Tuesday, September 13, 2011


was a lovely day. 

Although the boys and I did not sleep through the night, everyone woke up in good (enough) moods.  The WeatherMan left for work and somehow I managed a super productive morning - changed sheets, put away clean dishes, steamed carrots for the freezer.  Once the boys were dressed we headed to the library for preschool story time.  We had a very nice walk and stopped to watch the construction going on down the street.  I even saw a woman pull over to send a text message.  No fooling!

Bigger stayed all by himself at story time and Littler didn't break down too much over not being allowed to stay.  He and I read some stories while we waited for the big kids to get out.  Then we headed back home (after picking out a Curious George DVD each) for lunch.  Of course we stopped to watch the construction again.  It was barely 11 but we had lunch and the boys got to watch a little George.  Then into their own beds for a nice rest.  Before long both were asleep :) 

While they napped I cleaned the bathroom, steamed another batch of carrots for the freezer (we have 10 pounds to use up because it was a good sale and also have about 15 pounds of potatoes and 2 pounds of beets,) started dough for rolls in the bread machine, washed the dishes, wrote a blog post, and read my book.  It was a rather long nap :)  Oh, and swapped their toys with ones that were stored away. 

Refreshed from their naps the boys happily played all afternoon with their "new" toys.  It might have been the most amazing thing I have ever seen.  The entire afternoon was spent with a small fleet of matchbox cars and trucks, one motorcycle, and a Hess truck and scoop.  And some Thomas trains and track.  They really and truly entertained themselves for the vast majority of the time before dinner.  And even after dinner they kept it up and we did walk to mail a letter because they were playing so well I was not about to fight it.  So I read, knit two rows, ripped out one row, and made dinner. 

Even dinner was better than I thought it would be - loaded mashed potatoes with tomato, green pepper, steamed carrots, pork, and cheese.  I figured it would be good but it really was yummy.  And after Daddy came home he put the boys to bed so I could sit still for a few minutes.  For some reason they often seem to settle faster for him than me and last night was one of those nights.  And they slept through the night.  Well, Bigger turned up in bed with me at some point but that hardly wakes me up so I'll still count it as a success. 

It was a great day.  Other than when they got into my knitting basket and got out the scissors and my project.  And of course today they are in good spirits but unfortunately those spirits are making them jump on the bed rather than lay down and take a much needed nap.  Guess you can't win 'em all. 

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hooray for you! That sounds like an awesome day. Storytime at the library is good stuff. One of these weeks I'll make it back to the two-and-under storytime at our local library.