Monday, February 20, 2012

Magic of the Mundane

I feel like I've been complaining a lot here because well, I have.  I blame it on a lot of things - circumstance, time of year, laziness...  So here's an attempt at working on my attitude.  Trying to find the extraordinary in the every day.  Or at least just not being ticked about not getting my way ;-) 

My day started a little better than yesterday but I still had to fight the WeatherMan out of bed to get up with the boys - I had been up with them for nearly 2 hours during the night including the changing of an incredibly nasty diaper.  So I got to stay in bed until 8:30 and was hardly disturbed by those 2am partyers my darling sons. 

I thought I would take the opportunity of the WeatherMan being home for the morning to take a solo trip to the mall for some quick errands and a sub for lunch.  I didn't bother to check the holiday hours because who would pass up a days profits of family bonding through shopping.  (Here in Ontario it's "Family Day" how better to spend a day off school than at the mall?)  But there's my American showing because the mall was closed.  I'll admit I was ticked.  But it was a sunny day, not too cold, I was alone.  So I enjoyed a pleasant walk around the block.  And tomorrow I will get my sub for lunch, gosh darn it! 

After yesterday's digestive pyrotechnics there was serious laundry to be done.  And it could not wait.  I hate hauling the basket down to the basement in hopes of there being enough washers free to get it all done.  And I really don't care for doing it with tag-alongs.  The boys claim they'll be helpers but really they just want to crawl around on the basement floor and try to climb the folding table.  Thankfully only Littler wanted to come down today.  And lucky for me someone had cast off a nice purse.  You see, there's a small table where other residents leave their "cast offs" - clothes, books, knick knacks.  And you see, my mom has been on me about the bag I carry.  It is not a purse, I'm told that technically it would fall into the category of tote bag.  But I love it, it's the perfect size, it has a beautiful print of dancers that I love, I don't want to part with it.  But my new bag is more "grown up" looking (it's boring old brown) and I do believe it will hold more junk really important stuff than my other.  And Littler wanted nothing more than to carry my new purse upstairs for me and show it off to Daddy and Bigger.  And correct Daddy when he called it a bag - "no Daddy, it Mommy purse!" 

And now the boys are in bed and quiet (I don't dare say "asleep" out loud yet.)  "Antiques Roadshow" will be on soon.  I have a 7Up and some cheese and crackers.  And my knitting to work on.  A good evening.  It's magically mundane :) 

Linking up at Sofia's Ideas.

4 comments:

Emily said...

It all sounds good to me! Hope you enjoyed a quiet evening. :)

karen said...

It appears you did not catch what the boys had, thank goodness. I went to the recycling center yesterday and it was closed :/ Now I have to go again today!!

Sofia's Ideas said...

I'm glad that you recognize you need to be able to put your feet up, enjoy a snack, your hobby, and a little entertainment. Sometimes after cleaning up after the lovies being sick, and feeling those queasies myself, I would feel like I had to get everything back in order by hook or by crook, rather than allowing myself some "me" time to just relax and refuel.

I hope everyone is feeling better today?

Unknown said...

It sounds like quite the day! It's important to take those moments for yourself.

The Antiques Roadshow is one of my favourite "productive" shows to watch. I write, sew or paint while watching it.