Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Summer!

Ahh, the longest day of the year.  Nothing to look forward to but shorter days and longer nights after this as my dad always remarks.  ;-)  But we're gonna enjoy it while we got it. 
In honor of the day, Bigger Boy and I made water ice.  And no, as much as it will upset some people, I am not teaching the boys to call it "wooder" ice.  That makes me a little crazy and I'm sure they will figure that out soon enough and say it just to bug me. 

 It's a fairly simple procedure.  Even with a 3 year old.  Boil 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. 
Remove it from the heat and add the juice of 1 lemon plus about 1/4 cup of bottled lemon juice (because this is what I had.)  Throw in some lemon zest too since you had the lemon. 

 Littler likes lemons so we gave him the halves once we juiced them.  And yes, that's our air conditioner still sitting on the floor and not in the window where it belongs at this time of year.

 Pour into a dish and try to find space for it in the freezer.  Remember to be careful when checking on it.  Don't let it slide out of the freezer or slosh onto the floor - it makes one seriously sticky mess.

Yummy!  The Boy approves :)  And so do I - it's been a heck of a day.  I'll try to post more on that later but for now I'm just trying to stay awake until the Boy is asleep. 
Next I want to try watermelon, just have to work out the water ratio for that...

No comments: